One of winebusiness.com's stories today – WBM Varietal Series Goes Live at WiVi – calls attention to the Comparative Tasting of red blends that WBM writer Lance Cutler will be leading with Central Coast winemakers in March at WiVi Central Coast in Paso Robles. Now WiVi attendees will be able to sit in on what has been an intimate gathering of nine winemakers tasting each other's wines and discussing them.
Lance is a winemaker and possesses the technical knowledge to conduct insightful interviews with other winemakers. But he has the heart of a storyteller. His varietal stories (see below) have been of great interest to winemakers all over the country. As explained by WBM editor Cyril Penn:
"These varietal focuses center on a single grape variety through interviews with distinguished winemakers from distinctive regions. They involve tastings where winemakers talk about what clones and rootstocks they used, what soil types they were planted on and how microclimates influence the variety. They discuss what they are doing to best express terroir. We seek to determine which fermentation techniques lend themselves to which styles and to delineate the unique characteristics of each variety."
To read Lance's past Varietal Focus features in Wine Business Monthly, please go to the following links:
• February 2011. Varietal Focus: Syrah, featuring Washington state, Paso Robles and Sonoma County, California.
• September 2011. Varietal Focus: Pinot Noir, featuring Anderson Valley, Mendocino County, California; Willamette Valley, Oregon; and Sonoma County, Santa Barbara County, California.
• January 2012. Varietal Focus: Chardonnay, featuring Los Carneros and the Santa Lucia Highlands in California, and the Willamette Valley in Oregon.
• September 2012: Varietal Focus: Zinfandel, featuring Napa Valley, Sonoma County and Rockpile in California.
• January 2013. Varietal Focus: Cabernet Sauvignon, featuring Walla Walla, Washington; Valley Floor/Rutherford Bench, Napa Valley; and Mountain Vineyard Sites, Napa Valley.
To register for Lance's comparative tasting, go here to buy a ticket. Sign up soon, seats are limited!